Friday, August 28, 2009

Sick Room Boredom: Where're me Comics, then?

I'm facing into my third week of being a temporary invalid due to my wee troubles, and the boredom factor is affecting me. Well, boredom isn't quite the thing -- there's plenty of Internet to look at and television and cat antics -- it's more frustration, I suppose, at having no stamina to get anything done.

There's a back garden could do with some attention, but I'm tired out on about the fifth or sixth clip of the secateurs. As for wheeling in sand to do a bit more of the patio, forget it. I couldn't lift the shovel if I tried. We have a mosaic or three to put together for the garden walls, but I'm short on materials (most especially mosaic mesh) and in no position to go hunt some down.

So, it's mostly sitting at the window looking at the world go by. I'm lucky in that there is a large green with another part of the housing estate beyond that, then the sudden uplift of green hills (we call them mountains, but my American friends think that's hugely funny) before a huge and interesting sky.

When I was a kid, the Kearns boys would drag a trolley of vegetables up from their mother's roadside shop at the bottom of Edmondstown, delivering cabbage or turnip, potatoes and pot herbs for my mother's kitchen. The trolley would be an old crate married to some pram wheels. In the bottom would be a big pile of second hand comics (there were several boys and girls in their family) and I'd swap whatever I had to hand, a number of Warlords, the Dandy, or Beano, for ones I didn't usually get otherwise. I usually got the better deal, at least in my mind, because the sheer quantity they'd hand over would keep me amused for weeks. Mrs Kearns got rid of a heap of waste paper and the boys got some free issues they'd not seen. They were a Godsend when I was laid up with some childhood ailment...

Anyhow, while musing on comics, the doctor interrupted by phoning me and upsetting me over the lack of Potassium in my latest blood sample. It was as low as "one point something" while I was in hospital. They gave me five days worth of pills to boost it and instructions to eat bananas and potato chips like there's no tomorrow (and there might indeed be no tomorrow if the levels don't rise, as it aids in muscle ativity, not least of which includes the ticker). My GP added orange juice to the equation, saying in his phone call that the result was now at the "two point someting" mark. It should be between "three point something and five" to be in the safe range, as far as I understand things.

I'm ascribing the loss to my blood pressure medicine. I'm beginning to swing from light fittings from the amount of bananas I'm taking. I'm eating chicken, beef, salmon, downing packets of crisps, gulping orange juice, the while increasing my body weight, which leads to higher blood pressure, which the blood pressure medication counteracts, which depletes my potassium... I wonder am I in trouble here, or will it swing around to e better level?

Next blood samples in nine or ten days.

5 comments:

Tea said...

Eat loads of potatoes (they seem to have the highest potassium) every-which-way....well except the most yummy crisps. My Mum had low potassium for a bit and the pills did fix it but she ate lots bananas and potatoes.

tea who says
read a good book and get better soon

Angharod said...

I'm on the potassium horse pills too Willie...3 of the buggers a day to maintain a 2.1 level...it happens to all of us BP patients I think, but is dangerous enough to absolutely cause all the ailments that led to your original diagnosis, and can cause death...which I did not know. Eat all the potassium to can get and choke down the damn pills religiously...it's costing me $88.00 each blood test, so getting your level regulated is the frugal thing to do for your health and wallet. I've been good enough to maintain a right level so I can go once a month for the protime rather than every week. I knew right away when I was getting better as my joint pain eased and I was able to move without agony. I can even climb my front steps and peddle both bikes...the indoor and outdoor, without losing my breath. Avocados are full of potassium and so are tomatoes...limit salt by using lemon or vinegar on your food instead...but DO NOT USE Mrs Dash or any salt substitute...jaysus don't ask me why, but even the chemist cautioned me. Seems strange because Mrs Dash is loaded with potassium...
You will begin to feel better I'm sure...especially if you're losing fluid in tissue...and weight from same. I lost 23 pounds...and feel human again...but it seemed to take forever. Be patient and put away the salt and the caffeine.

Willie_W said...

Tea>> Yep, spuds are back on the diet, alright, although crisps were mentioned by a nurse as being a good thing to have too. The GP has decided to see if I can maintain potassium levels without the added pills, so I've not been on them these past 2 weeks. Grub and juice are the therapy at the moment.

Angh>> I'm no great fan of tomatoes, and I seem to recall my innards aren't either, but I may munch some later WITH salt. LOL. I'm certainly feeling more energetic at the moment, with only smaller valleys across the day. Fingers crossed for me for my next blood tests in about 10 days time...

Angharod said...

Baby steps are sometimes needed where a major infection was in play. It's just so hard to put up with the feeling of ennui or whatever it is...we human beans are not really programmed for inactivity, and have no patience for recovery time that drags.

Willie_W said...

Angh>> Well, this is it: sitting around is so boring, especially when one doesn't have as much energy as before to potter about and maybe occupy oneself a bit. On the plus side, I have some mosaic to make up and have recently started cutting and sticking for it. It looks like crap, but points towards improvements.