Sunday, March 12, 2006

Tick, Tock, Biological Clock

The Website of the St Maelruains Parish in Tallaght, whose church and bell-tower are often used as a symbol for the area, is one of those in which I am involved as Webmaster. The information is supplied to me in the Parish magazine, a monthly newsletter called "The Losset" (visit the site to find out why), and transcribed by yours truly into a monthly site update.

It was while updating the site this week that I added an item to their Noticeboard page stating that the clocks go forward an hour on the weekend of the 25th-26th March. This is astonishing, because my own internal clock has only just got over the clocks going back an hour! In fact, I'm dismayed, because I never seem to adjust to the Summer time change. I think the proto-Walsh was only happy in his winter cave and didn't care for summer too much. He probably growled irritably at the other cavemen when they suggested games of pass the mastodon and rolled over beneath his skins. I know that growl. I use it during summer time.

The saving grace, no matter how zombie-like I emerge in the mornings, is the wonderful stretch in the evenings and the fact that I can come home from the 9-5 job and spend an hour or two in the garden, looking at the antics of two cats and listening to the birds. In fact, I'm looking forward to it this year, so the weather had better be good. In 2005, I was just getting the hang of it, sitting out the back covered in frost near the end of October, when we went back to what my body thinks of as "normal time." At least I've a couple of weeks left to keep the internal clock ticking in its proper time. Bugger summer time anyway.

No comments: