Saturday, October 20, 2007

Silent Running

So the plumber announces he has had a job letdown which means he's starting to install the new central heating next week. That's despite the fact that Bord Gáis haven't found a shovel yet and connected us to the yellow fuse... I mean the gas supply. We also haven't mentioned that a bank loan we've not even applied for yet will pay for the central heating, so that should be good.

Tomorrow, I need to demolish a built-in wardrobe and manhandle the whole lot out the window, fix a no-go attic space, uncover a wall in the dining room presently hidden by would-be kitcheny bits, and generally do the plumbing equivalent of cleaning up before the cleaning lady arrives. Bugger me.

Tonight, the house was so cold and damp that I started up two electric radiators in the hall and in the living room. I had to fix the cat's food by the light of a side lamp and leave the computer off. We're church-mouse poor ahead of these renovations and can't afford the electricity, at least at never more than partially-completed showhouse level. All fur coat and no knickers -- that's us.

Hopefully won't need them when the heating goes in though....

Did I say, Bugger me...?

6 comments:

Willie_W said...

Taking a breather in between the prep work for the plumber. Have shifed our giant telly without breaking it. Moved the PC into a different corner. Am now about halfway through demolishing a built in cupboard I demolished ten years ago and reassembled in its present position! It is now being "assembled" in a heap in the back garden, its years of work finally over. No pics of this job, I'm afraid -- the dust bunnies are plentiful and I shall be using the magic mould removing spray in spots on the wall too.

Anonymous said...

You got a cleaning lady ? *S*

Willie_W said...

Yes. She's polishing the silver service I'll be eating my foi gras from later today...

Box room done and dusted and washed and bleached and emptied. One plumber-friendly environment. Now to the next room where I have to dismantle a sideboard someone put a mirror on and called a dressing table... Don't think I'll have time to go to this year's cat show, which is on today. Pity. But this show must go on too, I suppose.

Willie_W said...

Yah! Two plumbers appeared today! Briefly, it has to be said, but they did appear.

We are informed that the work shall begin tomorrow.

The back garden now looks like the garage of my junk-loving father. Hadn't budgeted much on hiring a skip, but I guess it's that time of the year again.

The shoulder I injured two years ago filling a skip is again playing up a little. I may have to consider strapping it somehow to stop it buggering up before I start loading any skip this time.

Willie_W said...

And the plumbers turn out to be Trojans in disguise! I came home yesterday and found the place full of wall mounted radiators. Floorboards had been cut and chiseled to take pipework in such a way that the work was almost invisible. And the old boiler had been disconnected, the boiler room cleaned entirely out and the boiler placed neatly in the front garden where I wanted it.

Today, there is again not much sign of disruption, but most of the pipework is now installed as well as a crisp new gas-powered boiler. At this rate, the job will be done in a few days.

Anonymous said...

That's great Willie, you won't know yourselves with the new heating system. We had a new system fitted a while back. I can't believe the difference. Heats up the place in no time and the bills are not half as bad as before. .......Joan